What Does It Mean To Be LEED Silver Certified Near Wilmington, NC?
LEED is transforming the way we think about how buildings and communities are designed, constructed, maintained, and operated across the globe.
LEED, or Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design, is a green building certification program that recognizes best-in-class building strategies and practices. To receive LEED certification, building projects satisfy prerequisites and earn points to achieve different levels of certification. Prerequisites and credits differ for each rating system, and teams choose the best fit for their project. For more information visit: www.usgbc.org/leed.
Leadership In Energy And Environmental Design LEED Silver Certification
In June 2015, Stevenson-Hendrick Toyota Jacksonville was awarded LEED Silver Certification from the U.S. Green Building Council, making it the first car dealership in the Southeast to earn this prestigious designation. Their state-of-the-art dealership helps the environment in a number of ways.
- Our brand-new showroom was built with sustainability in mind. Even the site was sustainable, it is not a virgin site, rather it is on reused land -- a building of 80,707 square feet on 16.72 acres.
- To reduce the effects of stormwater runoff, 34% of the site is pervious, 20,000 ft more than required landscaping.
- We also created wetlands instead of a stormwater pond, with a larger green space and the natural filtration of water.
- The new building uses a water reclamation system to get a 60-70% reduction in water usage and a 70-100% reduction in sewer usage.
- None of the vegetation requires irrigation. It is all indigenous, so it grows naturally around the facility.
- Our installed Ozone system eliminates dryers and their energy use and use of paper products.
Buildings trying to achieve LEED certification are judged in the following categories of. Read what Stevenson-Hendrick Toyota Jacksonville did to earn LEED Silver Certification.
Materials And Resources
The materials that are used at Stevenson-Hendrick Toyota Jacksonville are either recycled or from quickly regenerating natural resources. Exterior panels are 95% recycled aluminum!
Energy And Atmosphere
Our building uses an Entrance Portal, low energy lighting and appliances, automated on/off switches, recycled oil heaters and high-speed bay doors. We also increased building envelope efficiency by employing insulation with higher R-values.
Indoor Environmental Quality
The first thing you'll notice is that our facility has windows everywhere! We also utilize canopies and portals for reduced energy costs. Changing facilities allowed for people to bike to work. In addition, our HVAC High Efficiency Systems minimize power usage and maximize airflow to provide the best indoor air quality.
Innovation And Design Process
We utilized low-impact engineering techniques and natural site drainage into wetlands.
We have two 5000-gallon cisterns that recapture rainwater and AC condensation. This will reduce our water usage by 500,000 gallons per year!